Monday, September 7, 2015

Narrative | Protestant Cemetery, Rome | Unmapped Magazine

Protestant Cemetery, Rome

A second-hand, slightly battered book with a mustard color cover was my first introduction to a bunch of poets referred to as the Romantics. Blame it on the first year of graduation when English literature was raining down on me like fish from the sky, that I was fascinated by the Romantics’ vivacious and crazy lives much more than their work. A wobbly B&W movie screening where most of them, mainly Lord Byron, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Mary Shelley and John Keats, were mingling in an astoundingly reckless party made that morbid fascination stronger. Of course, over the years, I got better acquainted and enchanted with their works too.
13 years later, I found myself in Italy’s capital Rome where two of the great poets from the Romantics’ disruptive and brilliant group- Percy Bysshe Shelley and John Keats – lived for some time, died and then were buried in the Protestant Cemetery....
Read on: http://www.unmappedmag.com/issue-35/protestant-cemetery-rome/

No comments:

Post a Comment